Sunday, August 24, 2008

Unexpected Reunion

Last Friday, I go an unexpected email from a long lost friend.

Kevin and Denise were the directors of a music group I travelled in during Bible school. Their young sons, Kevin and Joseph, travelled with us for the summer tours. Having just taken the trip with the Youth group this past week with Abby in attendance, I have a new appreciation for what Denise went through for 12 weeks out of the summer.

Our summer tour went to Jamaica and up the east coast of the U.S. When you travel with a group - in a van, for that long, you really become like family. We played, prayed, sang and ministered together.

After graduation, I went home to Kentucky. At the same time, Billy started at CFNI and was selected for the same touring music group. That summer, the group sang at my church and I briefly met Billy. A year later, I went back to school to do a third year in Missions, and Kevin and Denise introduced me to Billy (again). We were both at their apartment a lot during the next year and became good friends. When Billy and I got married, Kevin sang in our wedding and Denise was the wedding coordinator.

And at some point in there, they also had another son, Nicholas. He was super cute and boy, could he sing!

When they left Texas, we were so sad to have our friends leave. But we knew they were following God's call on their life. Some years later, we lost touch with them personally, but would hear of them through the grapevine (mostly my friend Tanya).

So when I got her email saying they were in the area for a concert, we jumped at the chance to catch up with them again.

It was pretty wild experience. We had VIP parking and back-stage access. I have never been back-stage at a concert before. We were treated so nice by everyone that tours with them. It was really fun! And the food was great, too.

The last time we saw them, Denise was pregnant with her fourth baby, which turned out to be another boy. Here he is eight years later. Abby had so much fun playing with Frankie. He made her laugh and laugh!

Goofing around on the family bus.

My dear sweet friend. She hasn't changed (or aged) at all. She still looks great and has impeccable taste. The boys had a few minutes before the concert for a quick photo. They sure have grown up in the last few years.
Since the concert was sold out, we were able to be with Kevin at the sound board. Notice the screaming girls in the background. They were so happy we came to the concert. ;)
Abby is checking her earplugs. We all wore them. It was the only way to actually hear the music over the thousands of girls in attendance. Most of them knew the words to the songs even though the CD was just released earlier in the week. Amazing.

The concert was very entertaining and I told Kevin that I just might have to buy the boys new CD. They seem to be really popular. But at the store today, I opted to buy their movie instead.

It was so good to catch up with our friends again. And hopefully it won't be too long before we see them again.

3 comments:

Karen said...

So glad you guys had fun and got to reconnect! You're right Denise looks fabulous! :D

piano boy said...

Wait till Emily reads this. That's pretty cool I must say

The Downing 5 said...

Abby will be very popular if the kids see her in that picture! Glad you had fun (and earplugs!)