Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Bear

It has come to my attention that I should devote at least some space on this blog to explain the meaning of my title "Shagga Bear." So, with out further ado...

On my first birthday, I was presented with my very first teddy bear. He was a creamy brown color with shaggy fur. His legs, arms and head could all spin completely around. I fell in love with him at first sight. My daddy named him "Shagga" and the name stuck.

And you ask, "how can you remember your first birthday?" Well, I have pictures (note profile picture) and I MUST have fallen in love with that bear cause I still have him (the banner pic is his most recent portrait).

I do remember taking that bear everywhere I went: trips to Granny's house, camp, slumber parties, etc. I went on a summer missions trip to England when I was 15 but Shagga didn't get to go cause I was afraid I'd lose him. He did go on two summer tours with Signs of Love in college. He even came to my wedding reception with a bow tie that matched the groomsmen (Thank you, Karen).

This bear has been with me through thick and thin -- he's gotten thinner, I've gotten thicker. :) He even had to have "plastic surgery." His nose came off while still in grade school from so much lovin'. My grandmother sewed a piece of cloth over the hole and embroidered him a crooked smile, but I still love him!

He now has a place of honor in my bedroom. Occaisionally, I take him down and give him a little squeeze to let him know that I still care. So, for all he's given to me, I thought I would dedicate this blog to him so his name could live on.

Long live Shagga Bear!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love the line...This bear has been with me through thick and thin -- he's gotten thinner, I've gotten thicker. :) I LOL-ed!! :) love the bear and your blog is too cute.

I don't have all the answers, just the right ones. said...

The memorial brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.