Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Day Started Out So Well

(Warning: Long Rambling Post Ahead. Reader Beware!)

I actually have been getting up before Abby - no small feat for a girl who loves her sleep (ME)! I took a shower and got ready to go to MOPS. I even folded two loads of laundry! Abby got up and we ate breakfast and then headed out the door.

We were a little late to get to the meeting, but because of the snow delay (for the schools), not very many moms had showed up anyway.

Then we went home for some lunch and to pick up a video we needed to return to the library. (Are you loving this play-by-play yet?) We stopped to put a check into the FedEx box for our adoption agency and then drove down the street towards the library. We noticed that Hantie's car was in the parking lot behind Sheri's Coffee House, so we decided to stop for some whip cream and sprinkles (for Abby). We visited a while and then were on our way to the library. We picked out some new movies and away we went. (Yes, we do get books at the library, too, but I wanted this to be a quick trip.)

(I just wanted to add another parenthetical expression. There weren't enough already.)

While she was watching Pocahontas, I shoveled the driveway. Then it started snowing. It was more like a blizzard. I should have taken this as some kind of clue as to how the next part of the day would go. I think it snowed a half an inch in about 30 minutes. At least!

Then, while Abby and I were consuming a bag of tortilla chips, I got a phone call from our adoption agency asking for Abby's passport number so they could start booking flights and hotels, etc. (I didn't know prior to this that you need a passport number to buy an international plane ticket. I just knew you had to show it before you get on the plane.) I explained that we had not gotten it back yet because I only submitted it on January 5. The lady said it would be back in three weeks. Which would not be such a huge problem, but we also need to apply for a Chinese Visa as well. And the Chinese Embassy will be closed for Chinese New Year starting right about the time we'll get the passport. For TWO WEEKS!! (They really like to celebrate over there!)

So, I started making phone calls about the passport and found out that there was basically nothing I could do to speed up the process. But not only could they not speed it up, but I had also done something that might slow it down! I put the wrong birth year on the application!!! AAARRRRRGGGGGGG!

I checked my voice mail and saw that my sister had called and so I called her back to lament about how my day was going. After talking for a while, I noticed what time it was: 4:42 pm. Abby's ballet class had ended 12 minutes ago. Another big AAARRRGGG! Well, maybe not quite as big.

I got off the phone and told Abby what had happened. She was mad, but then she forgave me (I think). I was so frustrated!

By then, the blizzard was over and the sun was shining. So Abby and I went outside together and I took my frustrations out on the snow and ice in the driveway. Again.

Now, I'm just praying that everything will work out. One ray of hope that I have is that sometimes, you can get a passport number before the actual passport comes in the mail. Please, God, let it be so. I don't want to wait to the last minute to book our flights!

I'll finish this awful post with something that makes me smile:


Mama Lily said...

I'm praying as well!

palmtreefanatic said...

omy! Is God Testing your patience level? This sounds a bit stressful! I am so praying this all works out! wow!

Alicia said...

wow.. sounds interesting.. well I'll be praying.. God will work things out.. I'll be praying.