Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Re-Connection

Well, I know you have all been waiting for details from my trip "down South." We were treated to some real Southern Hospitality for sure! My friend Tanya is a Virginia girl transplanted to Texas - it doesn't get much better than that!

But to go back a little... I met Tanya in Bible School in January of '89. Almost 20 years ago. Wow! We roomed together for a semester or two and became fast friends. She has a bubbly, outgoing personality and she helped me come out of my shell a bit. We'd stay up late eating rice and milk with brown sugar (we had limited funds back then). We'd talk about God, guys, and life in general. We were both trying to figure out who we were and where we fit in God's Big Plan. I remember listening to the radio together (we weren't allowed TVs in the dorm rooms) the night that Operation Desert Storm started. Isn't it funny the things you remember from so long ago?

When I left Bible School for home, my sister was coming back for third year, and Tanya became great friends with her as well.

After a few more years, we were able to live in the same neighborhood, and even the same street for a little while. Our friendship grew, now as "grown-ups" and getting married and starting families. We worked at a consulting firm together, went to church together, and, of course, shopping together!!

Now that we've moved so far away from Texas, it has been more difficult to get together and spend time. I've missed the birth of three of her children and she missed out on our adoption journey to China. So that's why I jumped at the chance of free airline tickets to go visit my friend. :)

We stayed up late talking, minus the bowl of rice, and because we're both Mommies now, we didn't get to sleep in the next morning. We went to the zoo, I got my hair cut, had an unfortunate water outage, caught up with some of our mutual friends in the area, and had a great time just catching up on life.

I'm so thankful for good friends like Tanya. In fact, she is the one friend that has stuck with me the longest (besides my sisters). I love you, Tanya, and I thank God for you.

Here are some pictures from the trip.
Me & Tanya
Tanya and her Babies
Reading to Natalie and Abby

1 comment:

Karen said...

makes me wish I'd been there. So glad you guys had fun!